Roof Restoration vs. Re-roofing : Let’s debunk the related myths
By Modern Seal RoofingMarch 17, 2023
It’s a common misconception that re-roofing and roof restoration are the same thing. We often hear builders and homeowners saying, “I want to make sure my roof is restored properly,” or “I want to be sure my roof is re-roofed correctly.” But the truth is that these two terms can be very different in meaning.
There are many misconceptions about what re-roofing and roof restoration are actually for. Here we will give our readers an overview of these two processes so you can get a better idea of what they mean and whether they’re right for your home.
Let’s understand each process in detail.
What is roof restoration?
Roof restoration is the process of bringing an old roof back to life by applying new coatings, sealants and other protective materials. The process can also be referred to as re-coating.
Roof restoration is often needed when a building has been neglected for years or if it was built before the use of quality building materials. It can also be used to improve the look of a home after a new roof has been installed.
The process of restoring a roof can take anywhere from several hours to several days, depending on the size of your home and the extent of damage. Roof restoration companies typically charge by the square foot for their services.
Roof restoration can include a variety of different types of work. Some of the most common are:
- Repointing - Repairing cracks in mortar joints
- Caulking - Filling the gaps between metal or tiles, or around chimneys, vents and other protrusions from the roof surface.
- Chinking - Sealing cracks between logs or planks on log homes.
- Tile replacement - Replacing an entire layer of tiles on a roof if they are too old or damaged.
What is re-roofing?
A re-roofing is a process of replacing the existing roof with a new one. It can be done for various reasons, including damage, age or simply because you want to change the look of your house.
Re-roofing is not as simple as installing a new roof on top of an existing one. In most cases, it requires removing the old roof material and replacing it with new one. This process takes time and effort but it's worth it if you want your home to look its best again.
Re-roofing is usually done for one or more of these reasons:
- You want to increase the value of your home.
- Your roof has been damaged by storm damage or age and needs to be replaced.
- You're building a new structure on top of an existing roof — like adding another room or a garage — and need something that will support that extra weight.
Why should you choose roof restoration over re-roofing?
If your home is 20 years old or older and you have noticed that the roof is starting to show signs of wear and tear, then it may be time to consider a roof restoration instead of a full replacement. While replacing your roof can be a large project, restoring your existing one can be just as effective at improving the look and function of your home.
Roof restoration is a cost-effective way to add life back into your roof without having to replace it completely. This process involves removing all the old material from your roof and installing new roof tiled or metal sheet in its place. The new roofing material will be installed in exactly the same way as they were when they were originally installed on your home. This process can also include replacing any damaged roofing material with new ones if they are still in good condition.
The biggest advantage of using this process instead of replacing your entire roof is that it will not require removing all of the old roofing material from your home's roof. Removing these roofing material requires time, effort and skill because the nails holding them down have become rusted over time and are difficult to remove by hand.
Why should you hire roofing contractors for your roof restoration needs?
There are many reasons why you should consider hiring roofing contractors for your roof restoration needs. Here are just a few:
1) Professionalism: Roofing contractors have the experience and knowledge to do the job right. Whether it's repairing, restoring or replacing your roof, they will ensure that it is done properly and safely.
2) Safety: Roofing contractors have the right equipment and training to do the job right. This reduces the risk of injury or accidents on your property.
3) Peace of mind: When you use a professional contractor to restore or replace your roof, you can rest assured as it will be done correctly and safely. You don't have to worry about an inexperienced person damaging your home or causing other problems in the process of working on your home's roofing system.
4) Cost effectiveness: Hiring professionals has many benefits including cost effectiveness. For example, if you hire an inexperienced amateur to restore your roof, there is the possibility that they could cause damage which would cost more money in repairs than if you had hired professionals from the start.
5) Expertise. Professional contractors have the experience and knowledge needed to perform high-quality work on your home's roof. They will also be able to tell you if there are any issues with your roof that need to be addressed before work can begin. This prevents any problems from occurring during the project, saving time and money for both parties involved.
6) Experience with different types of materials. There are many different types of roofs available today, including tiled roof as well as metal panels. Roofing contractors have experience working with all of these materials so they can recommend the best choice for your home's needs (such as cost and durability).
Why should you hire Modern Seal roofing for your roofing needs?
As a homeowner, you want to make sure that your roof is in good condition. You can do this by hiring a professional roofing company to inspect your roof and give it a thorough cleaning. Modern Seal Roofing is the perfect option for this type of service because we have been in business for over 28 years, and we have a great reputation for providing quality services at affordable prices.
We are also known for our excellent customer service. We treat each customer as if they were our only customer, and we always strive to go above and beyond their expectations. This is why most of our customers return to us when they need additional work done on their property.
When you hire Modern Seal Roofing for your next project, you can be confident that you will receive high-quality workmanship from start to finish. We offer free consultations so that you can get an idea of how much your project will cost before making any decisions about hiring us or not. We will also give you an estimate on how long it will take and when we can begin working on the job so that there are no surprises down the line.
Once we begin working on the job, we always keep our customers updated about what is happening with their project so that they know exactly when everything will be completed.
Roof restoration is one of the most cost-efficient options when it comes to re-roofing. It allows your roof to last longer without any additional expense, and it is much more visually appealing. If you have an older home, internal repairs can often be quite expensive. Tiled roofs are typically built to last anywhere from 15-40 years, depending on the proper installation methods used. Your actions during this time will determine how long your roof will last before extensive repairs are needed.
For more details, contact our roof restoration Noble Park roofers.